Thursday, June 4, 2015

#10 - Decluttered

This move has been positive already and I'm still in New Jersey. The house work that I've done over the past month has made me take a good look at what I own and whether it is worth keeping or not. As I've gotten older I've had less of a need to collect. Or less of a need to collect in the physical sense. I've embraced digital media for the very reason that storing it takes up so much less space. I have hundreds of books on my Kindle and 10,000+ songs on my iPod and both of those can sit on my night stand and barely take up any space. Via Netflix and Hulu+ I have access to more TV shows and movies than I can ever hope to watch. Conversely, the video shelves that I recently got rid of took up most of the real estate in my dining room. Those shelves held nearly a 1,000 DVDs and Blu-rays that now sit in boxes in my storage unit. I've sold some for pennies on the dollar and plan to scale back even more. Ideally (minus my Bond collection) I hope to get down to 100 movies or so.

Purging the clutter from my life feels great. Beyond the work that's been done my house feels more open. That said I still have one more space that needs to be cleaned up and I'm dreading it. My bedroom closet isn't big but it is storing a lot of stuff. I already went through it and removed and donated the clothes that I no longer wear. There's still a lot to clear out though. I've got board games, VHS tapes, posters and comic books (lots of comic books!) to sort through and figure out what to do with. Not much of it will be coming to Las Vegas so I'll have to figure out what to do with it all. What once felt overwhelming now feels liberating.

Next: Wait & See

No comments:

Post a Comment